Monday, August 4, 2008

Highlights of the International Enneagram Association Annual Meeting








Mary Beth and I are just back from the IEA's annual conference, healed, refreshed, and ready to blog about the Enneagram. In upcoming blog posts, I plan to take you through what happened at the conference day by day, but here are some of my personal highlights:


  • I felt, for the first time, that I was part of a worldwide community of Enneagram enthusiasts, and that this enthusiasm might be leading somewhere.

  • I heard a fairly clear history of the modern Enneagram and gained a better understanding of the issues that are in dispute. Until now, these matters have been quite obscure to me.

  • I witnessed, firsthand, some conflict between the Arica Institute and, like, everyone else, but there was some conflict resolution. And hugging.

  • I heard the surprising history of a very important book.

  • I finally understood the law of seven well enough to explain it to others.

  • I ran into old acquaintances from another Enneagram workshop and got to argue about the types of the characters from Sex and the City with them.

  • I found that, at times, Mary Beth's hair can look even weirder than mine.

  • I remembered why I liked meditation in the first place.

  • I heard a teacher acknowledge some of the problems with Enneagram typing and propose an innovative solution.

  • I learned that, much like American 4s, Australian 4s also talk with fake British accents.

  • I heard about the Genneagram.

  • I saw some famous Enneagram teachers bust a move on the dance floor.

  • I was privy to a plot to take over the world.


There will be plenty more on all of this later. Perhaps Mary Beth will even chime in. (Nudge, nudge.)

No comments: